Tuesday, September 7, 2010

revenge of the allergies

As of this week, race day is 13 weeks away. It's time to get rolling...errr running! After several discussions with my Dad, who is less than a month away from completing his first FULL MARATHON, I have decided to try and use the next couple of weeks to ramp up my miles and get my body readjusted to exerting itself and then at 9 weeks out I am going to start an official training program. (I will try and figure out how to link to it, check back soon)
So yesterday evening, when the Hubs came home from work, I laced up the Nike's, strapped on my iPod and Nike+ sensor (more on that another time) and headed out the door. The plan for this run was to cover 2 full miles, even if I had to walk a bit. I really need to get used to covering longer distances.

I set off down the street, content to circle the hospital compound, determined to cover the miles, no matter how slow. Then, probably less than a quarter mile in, it happened. Apparently hospital maintenance had mowed down some rather large weeds along the road and then left them dead on the side of the street. I hardly noticed. I was starting to find a rhythm, albeit a VERY slow 10:42/mile one. As I passed the half mile mark I did a mental rundown of how I was feeling physically.

"Legs? Good.
Knees? No pain.
C-section incision? Seemingly still intact, no vital organs dangling.
Lungs? Doing alright, don't kid yourself MB, you're barely moving faster than a walk.
Throat. Throat?? My...gasp...throat...ack...gasp...is swelling shut?? No, can't be. Doesn't make sense? What is going on? Gasp. Keep going, maybe you are dehydrated? Gasp! No, have consumed mass amounts of water today...at least 2 liters already. Gasp!
Come on Nike+ lady who yells in my ear how far and how slow I'm going! Hasn't it been 2 miles, GASP, yet?!?"

"Half way there. One mile left." says the arrogant Nike+ lady over Garth. She's lucky she has good news, you don't interrupt Garth...

"Yip...gasp...eee!"

I slow to a walk and decide to take a 3 minute walk break to try and catch my breath, even though my lungs at this point are okay. Then, my nose begins to itch, my eyes begin to sting, my lungs tighten up, my throat is still threatening mutiny. 3 minutes come and go. No improvement. I turn towards home. So much for 2 miles. I am being assailed by allergies from hell. I spent most of the rest of the night itching my face, blowing my nose and sneezing in multiples of 6. That's with Benadryl on board!! I have a small asthma attack and am, as of this morning, still wheezing. I think I may have to go see a doc so I can obtain a rescue inhaler.
Day 1 down. Sort of. At least I felt good until the allergies hit.

Total mileage: 1.42

Until tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Hey MB! Cool idea for the blog! What are your thoughts on the couch to 5k training? I am not a runner at all & looking for some help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't personally done the Couch to 5K but generally ANY walk to run program is a good place to start. Overkill seems to be the biggest deterrent for continuing on a training program. Give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete