Saturday, November 13, 2010

setbacks.

This week has been a frustrating running week. I graciously accepted the baby's cold and have been fighting it all week, hoping it doesn't turn into my annual sinus infection.

Tuesday's run went relatively well but on Thursday I had to cut my five miler short (ran 3.77) and didn't come anywhere close to the needed splits. Then on Friday I didn't even make it out to run because I felt so lousy.

Today (Saturday) is an off day and then tomorrow is the long run for the week.

8 miles. Eeek.

I am beginning to feel better during the days, but am still super congested and wake up with a sore throat every morning. I am going to run 8 miles tomorrow. Period. No matter how slow, no matter how many goal splits I miss.

I am so disappointed that I couldn't finish that five miler earlier this week. I've decided that's it. No more quitting. Stubborn is my strategy. Genius, I know.

(And for the record, yes I know. 'You've been sick! Rest is what you need. It's okay.' Blah, Blah Blah. I know I did the right thing my cutting one run short and skipping the other. I did need the rest. That makes it no less frustrating.)


Setbacks.

How do you handle them? What are your strategies for getting around/thru those inevitable setbacks in life? Are they frustrating or a welcome break? Are they a necessary evil for later improvement? 

1 comment:

  1. i don't know how to handle set backs. I am not good at dealing with them either. I think you did a great job handling being sick and wanting to keep at it. no matter how much we want to be perfect at training, part of it is dealing with our lives and what they throw us. we have to be flexible. easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete