Monday, November 22, 2010

find a way/shout out

One of my favorite quotes is, "If you really want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse." (I have no idea who to attribute this to, if you happen to know, please leave me a comment)

The weather here on the good ol' Rez has been less than ideal. That, coupled with the fact I had to go in to the doctor Friday and get an antibiotic for a sinus infection and have my allergy medicine adjusted, has meant that running outside in freezing rain and sustained winds over 15mph isn't really a bright idea.

Thankfully I have a very generous neighbor across the street, who just HAPPENS to have been a personal trainer in another life and owns a veritable home gym, treadmill included. So yesterday when going out doors for my long run wasn't an option because we were under a winter storm warning I hit the treadmill instead.

For 8 miles.

I am so thankful to have found a way to get the miles in. I had originally decided to ride my bike trainer and at least get in a hard cardio session when I remembered her offer to let me use the treadmill anytime. So a couple of texts and a hour later I was bouncing along as I watched some TV.

Torture. That is what running 8 miles on a treadmill is tantamount to. Torture. The TV helped, but I cannot help but STARE at the little red numbers on the distance read-out that are moving WAY too slow. I tried covering it with my towel, but the towel kept slipping off and I twice had to do a pseudo-ninja leap off to one side as the towel hit the belt and went zipping by.

Wouldn't that have been spectacular? To find myself splattered against my neighbors wall in all my sweaty glory after shooting off the back of a treadmill? Awesome visual, I know. Thankfully I avoided said embarrassment this time.

Anyway, 92 long minutes later (beat last week's 8 miler by 1 minute!) I had 8 miles behind me and was a sweaty mess dying to get outside into the freezing temps to cool off. I had forgotten what it is like to sweat like that since it has pretty much been cool/cold since I started on this journey. It felt good.

So let me encourage you for a minute, if I may. Whatever you are working towards, whatever goal you have set for yourself, FIND A WAY. If it means being a little creative or asking others for help. Do it. It is worth it. I promise. When you come out the other side knowing you found a way and didn't make any excuses you can claim a victory, even if it is a small one.

Speaking of VICTORIES and finding a way, not an excuse, I need to congratulate one of my dearest friends HEATHER! She ran her very first half marathon yesterday and ROCKED it!! (I will post her time after I check with her and make sure that is alright.) I am so stinkin' proud and happy for her. If you are keeping track, Heather is the friend who I ran my first 5K with a couple of years back. She had wanted to run with us in Phoenix, but because of her husband's new and exciting work adventure, it wasn't going to work out. So, she kicked butt and got ready EARLY and ran the Route 66 Half in Tulsa this past weekend! WAY TO GO HEATHER!! (And Heather, May 1, 2011 OKC Memorial Half...you and me girlfriend!)

No excuses people. Not if you REALLY want it. Happy (frigid) Running.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much MB! It was a really incredible experience! Give me a few days for my tired muscles to recover and I will think about the next half:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job!! I am proud of you!! Keep up the great track record (pun!)!!
    ~Sissi

    ReplyDelete