Tuesday, October 26, 2010

juiced.

No. I'm not talking Barry Bonds. And no. I'm not "supplementing". But, a friend of mine HAS riled me up...in a good way. You see, for those of you who REALLY know me, you know that I like to win. Seriously. I have been blessed with my Dad's competitiveness and although I believe I am a gracious loser, I prefer to never lose if I can help it. Ever.
So when one of my favorite running buddies (who is already very fit) mentioned that she has decided to run the half in PHX with the goal of breaking 2 hours...the competitive juices started to flow. Now, to be clear, I don't really want to beat her. I just want to match her stride for stride. :)
My goal for this has always been, "finish and don't die" and that continues to be the goal. But now, oh now, I so badly want to see if I can break 2 hours too. Can I do the training? Can I log those kinds of miles? Can I really run that fast??
Reality though is a harsh thing. And the reality that I am facing is that
1. I am still only 4 months post-partum
2. Less than that from being hospitalized with serious post surgical infections
3. and still carrying 20ish extra pounds.
So I run on. I don't know that a 9:09 pace for 13.1 miles is anywhere in the realm of possible for me right now. I actually don't even have much confidence in my ability to complete the required training (via Runners World magazine), much less the race itself at that pace.
In fact, honestly I would be THRILLED to run between 10:30-11:00/mile for race day. I know that a sub 2:00 is totally possible at some point, but probably just not this go round. But, the juices are flowing. My focus is narrowing. And for me, nothing motivates me more than winning, or in this case keeping pace. So thanks Running Buddy, I appreciate you unknowingly pushing me. I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to be of service :) I too like nothing more than a challenge. So it a way we are challenging the magazine to see if it really works. I loved that that particular training plan seemed to have it all spelled out for you (ex: run 5 miles, one as warm up, 3 at 10:30 per miles pace and one as a cool down). I figure I will just do as it says and I will get the time it says I will get :) My biggest challenge right now is this cold weather though--was really enjoying running in our fall weather. Whenever someone I know does something that seemed hard before--it suddenly seems more possible. As in not so far fetched. Qualifying for Boston--sounds impossible! (8 min miles) but seeing that friend qualify mande me think, and hearing Julie say she ran a half at 8 min miles made me think the same, and also made 9:09 min miles not seem so bad--am I right?! Amber

    ReplyDelete